Nursing Home Abuse – Your Rights
According to the New York State Department of Health patients in a nursing home have several rights that protect them in the case of nursing home abuse. If any of these rights are breached, the patient and their families have the right to file a complaint. These rights include:
• You have the right to a comfortable living environment where you can live with dignity and respect.
• You have the right to quality care without any form of discrimination.
• You have the right to make your own decisions about your medical and personal care.
• You have the right to protect your own money and personal property.
• You have the right to protected admission, transfer, and discharge in nursing facilities.
• You have the right to private communications with your doctors, friends, and family.
• You have the right to participate in activities that you choose within the organization.
• You have the right to access a complaint procedure within the facility.
• You have the right to exercise those rights without fear of punishment
THE NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SURVEILLANCE PROGRAM
The New York State Department of Health takes nursing home abuse very seriously. If a complaint is made regarding a nursing home abuse incident, the Department conducts a surveillance of the specific nursing home to investigate whether proper care is given at the nursing home in question.
If you suspect that your family member is a victim of nursing home abuse
you can contact the experienced and knowledgable attorneys at Linden Law for a no-obligation free consultation at 212-804-8440. If your family member’s rights as a nursing home patient have been infringed, you have every right to take legal action.