Birth injuries: Can You Claim Compensation?
Babies can easily get hurt during the birthing process. If doctors are negligent, they can sustain bone fractures, nerve damage, umbilical cord entrapment, facial paralysis, and forceps or vacuum injuries. In worse cases, babies can end up with cerebral palsy. According to statistics, 6-8 in every 1000 babies suffer birth injuries, most of which occur in private non-profit hospitals.
The most common types of mistakes resulting in birth injuries
The most common types of mistakes that doctors and nurses make that lead to birth injuries are:
- Neglecting to observe and monitor the mother and baby’s distress
- Misdiagnosis of a medical issue
- Using the wrong methods when applying birthing tools
- Not carrying out an emergency C-section if it is necessary
- Not taking measures to help prevent preterm labor
When can you file a personal injury complaint?
Any birth injury is traumatic and can end up in more hospital costs than you’ve expected. Under certain circumstances, you have the right to claim compensation for your expenses. But first, you need to make sure that you have a valid case with https://kinousers.com. Three things must be in place before you can file a complaint:
- There must be a doctor-patient relationship. This is automatically the case if the doctor delivered your baby
- The doctor must have done something wrong
- His negligence must be the cause of the birth injury
Remember that you will need evidence, so be sure to act as soon as possible when all the information that you may have is still fresh in your mind.
Talk to a lawyer
If you think that your baby’s birth injury was due to the medical staff’s negligence, you should consult a personal injury lawyer to determine whether you have a case. Linden Law has expert personal injury lawyers who specialize in medical malpractice cases and will review your case for free. Call us at 212-804-8440 or visit our offices at 1500 Broadway Suite 903 for a free consultation.